Τea is the most famous drink after water and it is made from the leaves of the tea tree (camelia sinensis or camelia thea). The different varieties of tea, white, green, black, oolong and rooibos are the result of the processing of the tea leaves. Only red tea comes from the South African leave Rooibos (red bush).
White tea: It has the least possible processing and as result it has the highest antioxidant effects. It is collected only early in Spring and that’s why it is expensive.
Black tea: The leaves of the black tea are oxidised through the processing so we have a strong tea with high caffeine levels.
Oolong: The leaves are partly oxidised. It is a combination of black and green tea.
Rooibos: It is made from the leaves of rooibos.
A tribute to green tea:
Green tea is the most healthy drink in the planet. It has antioxidant substances that have a positive effect to the organism. Based on worldwide researches it has many benefits for the human organism.
1) It is rich in polyphenols and catechins (EGCG) that they decrease inflammations and help against cancer, they decrease free radicals that are responsible for ageing and also for the diseases of human organism.
2) The ingredients that green tea has can improve the brain function. It contains less caffeine than coffee, but enough to have a positive impact to brain functionality and make you smarter.
3) It is proved that it activates the metabolism and increases fat burning so it does improve the body’s physical condition.
4) Researches show that the antioxidants that the green tea has minimise the chances of the appearance of some types of cancer.
5) The bioactive compounds that are contained in the tea protect the human brain from Alzheimer and Parkinson.
6) The catechins that are contained in the tea can kill the bacteria that live in our mouth and so they improve oral hygiene and work against bad smell.
7) Researches show that it maybe decrease the chances of forming diabetes type 2.
8) It also minimizes the chances of cardiovascular disorders.
9) It helps with losing weight.
10) Finally studies show that people who drink green tea live more.
For the hot days of summer there is no better drink than a refreshing cold tea that we can make by ourselves avoiding all these types of prepacked tea that are in the market, which have all these extra calories for no reason and at the same time they don’t have any of the beneficial aspects of tea. It is also good for us to buy high quality tea, preferably “loose leaf” and not packed in tea bags. You can find plenty of high quality tea in the market and proportional with the prepacked and very commercial tea bags, loose tea is cheaper and the taste is beyond comparison.
A Recipe for Iced Green Tea with Fruits:
For 1 litre of tea you will need:
- 5 tsp of Green Tea.
- 1 tbsp of Honey or Agave Syrup.
- 1/2 Orange Sliced in big pieces.
- 1/2 Nectarine (or pineapple, or mango etc) Sliced in big pieces.
- 1/2 Lime.
- 1 Small piece of Ginger Grated.
- Peppermint Leaves.
- 1/2 lt of Sparkling Water.
- We put the tea, the ginger and the honey in 1/2 litre of boiled water for 4 minutes and then we strain it.
- In a jug we put all the fruits and the peppermint, we squeeze with a wooden spoon the fruits so they release some of their juice.
- We add the hot mixture we made before and the rest 1/2 litre of cold sparkling water, ice cubes and we serve.
Modern Yogi & Farai Chocolates
About Farai Chocolates:
Entering Farai Chocolates the colours and the smells of chocolate rebuke you sweetness and invite you to taste them. You will also find healthy delicacies like nuts, energy bars, cookies with no sugar and all the qualities of tea from the “dromos tou tsagiou”. The owner Eleni Chronopoulou Malama insists the last 18 years on quality combined with good prices.
Farai Chocolates (Athens Metro Mall) Vouliagmenis str. 276, Ag. Dimitrios, 210-9766970