Try a healthier chocolate mousse with fewer calories but equally tasteful – with avocado!
Where to start about avocados! Internationally famous, the avocado is a favourite cooking and pastry ingredient, but surprisingly used in vegan or vegetarian cuisines. Even though it is the main ingredient of the famous and unbeatable guacamole, its uses can be very versatile: avocado toast as breakfast or snack, smoothies, dressings, juices and salads.
The avocado has been cultivated in South and Central America since 8000 B.C. In Greece it is mainly produces in Crete. For the Aztecs it was the symbol of fertility and love. Nowadays it is considered a super food: very rich in potassium even more than bananas, in proteins (in form that does not require any further breaking down by the organism and can be directly absorbed in the blood stream), in monounsaturated fats which are anti-carcinogenic and improve heart health, in antioxidants and in vitamins of the groups K, C, B and E. A property that makes it unique is that it contains 18 of the 20 amino acids, which is very unusual in most foods and especially fruits. Due to its creamy texture and butter -like taste, it can perfectly replace the role of butter in pastries, cakes and more. Its contents improve hair strength & health, skin hydration and have anti-wrinkle properties. This is the reason it is a main ingredient in beauty and hair masks which we can easily make at home.
For 4 servings you will need:
- 1/2 tea cup medjool dates, soaked (6 pieces) or one banana, very ripe
- 1/2 tea cup maple or agave syrup
- 3 avocados soft and ripe with clean green flesh
- 3/4 tea cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 tea cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or powder
- Blend medjool dates or banana, maple syrup, vanilla extract and water until smooth.
- Mash avocado well with a fork and add cacao powder.
- Blend both mixtures until one creamy and smooth.
- Serve into the bowls and decorate with mint leaves, finely cut pistachio, coconut flakes or chocolate chips.
Place them into the fridge and in a few hours they will be ready. Good luck!