Cauliflower pizza is a very good ‘alternative’ and modern idea for low carb, naturally gluten-free, and low calories pizza. It is a favorite snack of the California residents in the USA and for the fans of a healthy diet and pizza too.
Cauliflower is considered as a tasteless and with an unpleasant smell vegetable by many people.
However it is high content in vitamins B as C, K, and E. Moreover it contains calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and manganese. It is one of the richest sources of plant protein and fiber while it is fat-free.
You should remember that the vegetables attribute their nutritional value best when they are consumed raw or cooked with steam. Cauliflower bouquets ground with blender like couscous can replace the rice in your meals as a low carbs vegetable or can be added in your salads.
For the cauliflower pizza crust, you will need:
- 1 medium or big cauliflower
- 1-2 eggs
- oregano or mint
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino or parmesan cheese or even soft goat cheese
- pinch of salt
- Cut the cauliflower into small bouquets and ground them with a blender till they become like couscous.
- Place the cauliflower couscous into a bowl and then into the microwave oven for 5-7 min depending on the size of the mixture.
- Take it out very carefully as it is really very hot and empty it out into a linen or cotton dishtowel.
- Put gloves and spin the dishtowel with the cauliflower couscous very well to squeeze out the moisture.
- Leave it for an hour into the fridge for the mixture to ‘get rest’.
- Take it out and add the egg, the herbs, and the cheese. Mold it with your hands till you form a ‘ball’ dough.
- Place the dough into a pan lined with baking paper, spread it with a spatula, and use your hands to press and shape the dough. Try to make it as thin as possible in order to get crispy while baking.
Now it is the time to decide on the toppings of your pizza! Let your imagination run wild!
Bake it in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 45 minutes. You can do the same with broccoli or with broccoli and cauliflower mixed together.
Tip: the secret to getting a dry crust that you can work it easily with your hands is to drain well the water from the cauliflower couscous mixture. So squeeze it as much as you can!