I am in love with this salad! It is innovative, tasteful, extremely cooling, and filling. I could eat it each one of those summer days when the heat is unbearable, and the only thing you would ask for is cold water and freezing watermelon. I mean what I say!
I often recall my dad when I was very young, relaxing at the patio of our summer house after a hard working day eating cold watermelon and feta cheese. Back then, this combination seemed bizarre to me. The combination of watermelon and tomato may seem even more bizarre to all of you. But believe me, the combination of the three of them, watermelon, tomatoes, and feta cheese is a true surprise for the palate.
The watermelon is a famous and favorite fruit and a synonym for Greek summer!
The watermelon has high water (92%) and other nutrients content, whereas it is one of the lowest in calories fruits contrary to what most people believe, moreover it is fat-free, astoundingly refreshing and filling due to its fiber content. It is also a rich source of citrulline and lycopene, two very important phytochemicals, as of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and other minerals too. It may help relieve muscle soreness, lower blood pressure, and improve insulin sensitivity. Overall it is a surprisingly healthy fruit.
For my favorite salad you will need:
- 3-4 watermelon pieces without their black seeds
- few rocket leaves (you can miss them if you do not like them)
- 1 red (purple) onion cut in rings
- small tomatoes cherry cut lengthwise in the middle (less than the watermelon cubes)
- 4-5 carob rusks (optionally, but they suit perfectly due to their sweet taste)
- grated feta cheese (1/2-1 teacup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped mint
- salt, pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the watermelon pieces into small cubes, remove their black seeds, and put them into the salad bowl.
- Add the carob rusks, the rocket leaves, the cherry tomatoes, and the onion rings.
- Add the grated feta cheese, on the top.
- Do not forget the mint, salt, and pepper. Mix all the ingredients softly in order not to break up the watermelon cubes.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil over the salad bowl.
I am sure you will love this salad as much as I do, even without feta cheese as the strict vegan option! Do not forget the fresh mint, it truly takes the taste off! Good luck!